Guidelines for arranging fishing on WTA waters

Fishing on Wild Trout Association water is arranged by purchasing a day permit that allows access to water on WTA members’ property. Rates are subject to change without notice. Permits are sold on a first-come-first served basis.

Permits are issued during office hours and are valid for one day only. Permits consist of two sections. The upper half contains the vendor and purchaser details, i.e. name & address, vehicle registration number, the number of rods, the total fee and the venue/s to be fished. The lower half consists of a catch return that must be completed, and the permit returned to the vendor. The permit must be placed in plain view on the dashboard of your vehicle to avoid listing on the WTA “Wall of Shame”.

To ensure that double bookings do not occur, a central beat register is maintained at the Rhodes Tourist & Info Centre (RTIC) in Muller Street, Rhodes.  Registration ensures that the beat required has not been booked already and, if available, is recorded on the central beat register. Keeping this register up to date is the key to the success of satisfactory fishing experiences and is also the key to the success of the fishery.

Ensure that you know where your beat is or that you are given clear instructions as to how to find the beat concerned as well as identifying its boundaries. As stated above, copies of the permit must be stuck to the inside of your windscreen to ensure visibility and therefore confirmation that you are not a poacher.

Beats can be booked at the RTIC in advance, however, this is done at the risk of inclement weather rendering the water booked un-fishable, in which case alternative arrangements can be made subject to the availability of beats.

The RTIC has become the focal point of things fishy in the Eastern Cape Highlands and in addition to selling day permits also provides an accommodation booking service as well as other information concerning the area, e.g. activities, places of interest and much more. Feel free to call in and acquaint yourself with what is on offer.

Visitors who are accommodated in WTA member’s accommodation must also purchase permits for the water concerned. Please ensure that the vendor notifies the RTIC of such sales in order to keep the central register up to date.


Day Permit Vendors

Bell River, Bokspruit, Riflespruit, Sterkspruit & Kraai River

Rhodes Info Centre             Margie & Xolelwa               045 971 9003



Birkhall/Branksome              Basie & Carien Vosloo        045 974 9303

Xolelwa 045 971 9003 | | © 2024 WILD TROUT ASSOCIATION. All Rights Reserved.